Paint Cracks on Interior of Window Frame on 100 Year old Bay Window
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thebuttons
Labourer
Labourer

Paint Cracks on Interior of Window Frame on 100 Year old Bay Window

Post by thebuttons » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 am

We have a 100-year-old bay window which had its indoor frame freshly painted about a year ago with Duluxe Satinwood (historically it has always been painted white).

Last night I noticed that substantial cracks have appeared in the paint on the the inside of the window. These cracks are not just in the recent paint - on larger cracks you can see that the paint has lifted right from the wood.

I’ve attached a couple of photos – can anyone shed some light on what has caused this, and what I should do about it?

Thanks!

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Paint Cracks on Interior of Window Frame on 100 Year old Bay Window

Post by gc1967 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Badly prepared window before painting, and hazard a guess of 1 coat of Dulux satinwood over gloss

thebuttons
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Paint Cracks on Interior of Window Frame on 100 Year old Bay Window

Post by thebuttons » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:47 pm

gc1967 wrote:Badly prepared window before painting, and hazard a guess of 1 coat of Dulux satinwood over gloss

This is quite an old post to get a reply to :D

In the end I stripped it back and repainted.

The original decorators had indeed used Dulux Satinwood - although it was two coats of oil-based satinwood.

Out of interest, what makes you think Dulux Satinwood would have had this effect? I know the water based stuff can peel when painted straight over oil, but even then I wouldn’t expect it to make the old paint lift?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:53 am