Peeling paint and grubby ceiling
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

DIYDanT
Labourer
Labourer

Peeling paint and grubby ceiling

by DIYDanT » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:15 am

Hi Everyone,
Long time lurker first time poster here!

I've taken on a house renovation project and come across a painting issue in one room - all other rooms appear to be fine.

The problem is two fold but I imagine interlinked:

1. I needed to get some paint whacked on the walls behind the rads before they go back on next week but when I started rolling I ended up with a strip of paint coming off the wall. There are 3 rads on 3 different walls and it's the same problem on each.

2. The ceiling paint looked to be in decent nick to the naked eye so I gave it a fine sand to remove any blemishes but I've uncovered a lot of grubby chalky mess underneath the existing coat of paint that I know is going to end up peeling off as soon as I get the roller on it.

What's the best way to tackle this? For the peeling around the rads should I be able to get away with scraping the peel away and using a peel preventing primer before repainting?

For the ceilings I was going to give it a good clean with some sugar soap and then.....I have no idea!!

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Ceiling
Ceiling
Peeling paint
Peeling paint

It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:06 am