Loft conversion planning or permitted development advice needed
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Skill
Labourer
Labourer

Loft conversion planning or permitted development advice needed

by Skill » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope all well.

I live in a 3 bed end of terrace and have applied for planning for a loft conversion with 2 rooms and a shower room.

The architect and builder have had a response from planner requiring 0.5m reduction all around and suggested going down the Permitted development route in case the planning requires even more space removed.

I obviously want to get this done asap and if I stick with the permitted route I get a 1.9x1.9 shower room, 2.8x2.5 room and 2.8x4.7 room.

What are your thoughts on those dimensions and has anyone else had a 2 room loft conversion and shower room via PD or planning and what was the outcome?

Thanks

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Loft conversion planning or permitted development advice needed

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:41 pm

You don't say what the size of your conversion that you submitted to planning, so it's impossible to comment on this versus the permitted development option.

It sounds a simple choice; you could go with the permitted development and then you'll get it without the stress and wait for approvals. Or you apply for what you want (subject to restrictions) and hope that you get it. What's more important, your deadline or the finished build?

Planners tend to be quite approachable these days and they should be able to help you to get to plans that they will be comfortable with. Also see how much experience that you architect has dealing with this planning office, as local knowledge will help. If you need to get this local connection you can use a planning consultant, although they don't come cheap.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1