Bouncy Ceiling Causing Stairs Light to Shake when Running up Stairs
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mavs801
Labourer
Labourer

Bouncy Ceiling Causing Stairs Light to Shake when Running up Stairs

by Mavs801 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Please help!
I have, over the last 12months completely renovated my two up two down house, with a full re-wire, new plaster, plumbing and decoration throughout, and have done large amounts of work myself (of course not anything skilled like electrics or plastering) . My problem at the moment is the light fitting at the top of my stairs ceiling seems to bounce or shudder if I close my bathroom door, or run up the stairs a little too enthusiastically. It also happens when I've been a bit heavy footed in my spare bedroom. I know that my ceiling joists in the loft were.....a little flimsy shall we say, so I assume the problem relates to the ceiling as opposed to the light fitting itself.

When I am in the back bedroom, the bedroom ceiling appears fine, but I can see the landing light shuddering if I stomp around a bit. The bathroom is in the extension of the house, but I suppose the door is right under the joists where they meet the wall?

Is there a cheap (please!) and easy (pretty please!?) way I could fix this problem? Perhaps strengthen the ceiling joists??

Please don't suggest pulling down the ceiling, my heart, nor wallet could take it :-)

thedoctor

Re: Bouncy Ceiling Causing Stairs Light to Shake when Running up Stairs

by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:21 am

The light fitting will not move on its own so it must be the movement of the floor/ceiling that is creating the movement. To stop the movement you must strengthen the timbers, sorry

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:39 am