How to Adjust Screw in and Lift off Hinges of External Security Door
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

How to Adjust Screw in and Lift off Hinges of External Security Door

by Nearlyman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:17 pm

All the external security doors on my property are equipped with heavy duty, lift off hinges (no screw plates). Heavier versions than even those offered by ANUBA who offer heavy duty at 9mm dia barrel 36mm long. Mine are 15mm dia barrel 50mm long. Not listed by Anuba.
One of the doors - the most frequently used - giving access to the rear of the property and the side access is extremely stiff to open - getting stiffer the wider open it gets. I have assumed the door has moved /twisted over time or was fitted in this state during the original build.
I can see (in principle) by screwing the "bolts" of the hinges, one way or the other, the "fit" can - on the face of it - be adjusted. Unfortunately, on closer examination, the half of the hinge which, clearly, will give the "adjustment" to ease the stiffness is the half screwed into the door frame. Problem:- the distance from the hinge screw centre to the reveal of the doorway is less than the upstand height of the the hinge barrel so it is impossible to achieve even half a rotation let alone the "several" turns required to effect the required adjustment. An extreme solution is to remove the entire door frame discard all these "crazy" hinges and fit some that can be easily fitted and adjusted without having to remove the frame. However, I have no wish to do this. If, however, that is the only answer than I'll wait until I can afford to replace the doors with UPVC alternatives.Unless, someone knows different...

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:28 pm