Re-skim a Newly Skimmed Wall that Needs a bit of Touching up
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mataus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re-skim a Newly Skimmed Wall that Needs a bit of Touching up

by mataus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 am

Hi all, this is my first post, so hope someone can advise me.

I have never plastered before, but I always like to try something first before knowing whether to give up.

I have plaster boarded all walls and ceiling in a bedroom (all old plaster and ceiling removed) and had my first attempt at skimming. I tried an area under the bay window and the bay ceiling. Both came out well, with only a few areas requiring some light sanding or filling. With this confidence I attempted two larger walls.

My mistake was not making the mix wet enough, something I only realised when i did the second wall. Although the first large wall does look ok, I know when painted it will be noticeable. The second wall came out great and have learned a few things about mix and application from my attempts.

My question is, can I simply re-skim over the two coats of skim I put on yesterday? I've seen posts about leaving it to dry, using PVA etc, but these apply to old plaster walls.

Many thanks

thedoctor

Re: Re-skim a Newly Skimmed Wall that Needs a bit of Touching up

by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:52 pm

For your own sanity I would apply a coat of PVA mixed 50/50 with water, then skim the wall. The PVA will give you an extra 15 minutes on the drying time, enough to get a good finish

mataus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Re-skim a Newly Skimmed Wall that Needs a bit of Touching up

by mataus » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for the advice, it worked out great.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:51 am