Project Gone Wrong for Sealing External Handmade Wood Table
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Berlinerweisser
Labourer
Labourer

Project Gone Wrong for Sealing External Handmade Wood Table

by Berlinerweisser » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some advice on a diy project gone badly wrong. I was given a handmade table and thought I could restore it for the garden, it's something someone has made from whatever they had lying about. The top is half timber and half MDF.
I sanded down and treated the whole table with MDF sealer and once dry painted the whole thing with standard emulsion. Thinking I should seal it to protect against the elements I asked my local building supplies shop what to do and they recommended yacht varnish to go on top of the paint. They reassured me it would dry clear however it dried to a horrible patchy yellow brown colour, completely ruining the white finish I had previously.
I'd really appreciate some advice as to what I can do. I plan to sand off the varnish and paint back to the wood if possible and start again but the customer services at Ronseal said it may never dry completely.
If it does can anyone advise how to seal paint that is for outdoor use so it doesn't lose the original colour? I want it white but protected against the weather.
All advice gratefully appreciated.

Fred c
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Project Gone Wrong for Sealing External Handmade Wood Table

by Fred c » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:57 pm

MDF can not be used outdoors.

Berlinerweisser
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Project Gone Wrong for Sealing External Handmade Wood Table

by Berlinerweisser » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:11 pm

I sealed it with mdf sealer and painted it with cuprinol outdoor paint after stripping the varnish and emulsion off. Do you think it'll be OK?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 am