Condensation Possibly Causing Paint Peeling off Walls?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
A.Dick
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation Possibly Causing Paint Peeling off Walls?

by A.Dick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Am new to the forum, hope someone can help. I live on Corfu and year after year have recurring problem of paint peeling of walls and ceilings. It is a damp climate and leave it as long as poss before I paint, but walls feel dry, so wondering if condensation could be problem? Always scrape off the old paint, and fill any necessary parts and prepare surfaces but over years paint has of course built up and is peeling away even more. Got every thing off and neatened as much as possible and though walls were coloured I might as well go back to white to make things a bit easier for myself! Do I actually need to use a primer on the already painted parts..in fact to I need a primer at all ? Feel like I am wasting money and time when this happens every year, what's the use of the primer if it doesn't help to prevent it? Any help greatly appreciated, am at my wits end!!

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Condensation Possibly Causing Paint Peeling off Walls?

by diydoctor6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 am

If it keeps happening it would be worth getting to the root cause of the problem. You're obviously just treating the symptoms which can be a waste of money.

You don't say where this paint peeling is occurring, as this will give you an indication if it is condensation, which is more common in 'wet' areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Have a look at this project for more information about diagnosing and treating condensation:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/condensation.htm

There are a range of solutions suggested which you could try if it is condensation. If it is damp you will need to conduct a little more research to find the source.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:18 am