Landing Light not Working Properly and Flickers on and off When Turned on
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heisenburger84
Labourer
Labourer

Landing Light not Working Properly and Flickers on and off When Turned on

by Heisenburger84 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could offer some advice. Recently the ceiling light on our landing has started playing up. When switching the light on the bulb flashes on few a moment then goes off, if I flick the switch on and off a bunch of times rapidly then it eventually does go on properly so the bulb does work.

I've replaced the ceiling rose & pendant of the landing light. I also replaced the bathroom light fitting as this had seen better days and thought it might be the problem. Lastly I've checked the other ceiling roses and they seem to be in good condition/connected properly. The problem is still there unfortunately.

I thought that it couldn't be down to the switch as there are 2 switches that control the light and it's the same problem with both. Could it still be down to the switch/es?

Last bit of info is that sometimes when switching the hallway light on downstairs (which is operated by the same switch that can operate the upstairs landing light), it flickers for a couple of seconds before turning on. Not sure if that's relevant.

Does anyone know what the issue might be please? I'm hoping to fix the problem myself rather than call someone in but if it's going to be quite tricky then it would probably be safer for me to get a professional around!

Thanks in advance.

GayEddie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Landing Light not Working Properly and Flickers on and off When Turned on

by GayEddie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:47 pm

I would change switch looks like a bad contact somewhere and you said you changed the pendant.

Could also take switch face plates off and make sure the screws are tight on the wires both switches

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:00 am