Gaps between skirting boards and walls
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pikaluk
Labourer
Labourer

Gaps between skirting boards and walls

Post by pikaluk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:47 am

I have just bought new skirting boards (torus) for my bedroom. The walls were skimmed and are smooth. I haven't fitted the skirting boards yet but I can tell that they don't fit snug to the wall and I am going to have some large gaps between the top of the boards and the wall.

Two questions - what can I do about this and how should I go about fixing the skirting (No More Nails or real nails?!)

Please help!

pikaluk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by pikaluk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:53 pm

Please help me

mahada
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Gaps between skirting boards and walls

Post by mahada » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:07 pm

[quote="pikaluk"]I have just bought new skirting boards (torus) for my bedroom. The walls were skimmed and are smooth. I haven't fitted the skirting boards yet but I can tell that they don't fit snug to the wall and I am going to have some large gaps between the top of the boards and the wall.

Two questions - what can I do about this and how should I go about fixing the skirting (No More Nails or real nails?!)

Please help![/quote][quote]
You may have finished your project by now but I recently fitted new skirting boards and used No Nails. I filled the gaps with caulk. I also fitted them about 1/4" above the floor which is great for tucking in cables and also tucking in carpets. It also gives you enough space to put a piece of newspaper under when re-painting. Hope this info is useful. [/quote]

joust180
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by joust180 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 pm

Cut your boards to fit ,then lay against the wall. Now depending on the thickness of board at the top you can mark a pencil line running along the top of the board and if possible chop into the plaster at the worst points,sinking the skirting board in a little to the wall. Use an old chisel or bolster to do this,scoring the pencil line with a stanley knife so as no to damage any plaster above. You may only be able to sink in 5mm but this is a common practice. That or plane the back of the skirting at the worst points. Yes use gripfill or any adhesive in a tube(there is that many now!!!!) squirt a line just down from the top of the board (so it doesnt splodge out the top)horizontal every 300mm that constitutes a nail fixing and I also nail underneath the round of the moulding 300mm again so u cant see the nail and any loose boards at the bottom nail on an angle into the floor if u can. Use a bit of caulk to finish.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:58 am