Options for Laying Concrete Slab With Under Floor Heating
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

timmywo
Labourer
Labourer

Options for Laying Concrete Slab With Under Floor Heating

by timmywo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:29 am

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so please direct me if there is a better Form to post this on.

There is plenty of info out there for laying a Concrete Slab and Underfloor heating, but I am undecided what process for me is best. I see my options as the below and keen to get feedback and comments.

Background: Extension approx 8x7m, slope site, finishing foundation walls and preparing for fill then Concrete slab pour. The structure is a reclaimed wood beam house.
Location south Poland, winter -30c

Option 1:
#Hardcore
#Gavel
#Sand
#DPM
#20cm EPS Insulation
#10cm Concreate floor with Underfloor heating

Pros
#Single pour for the slab inc underfloor heating
Cons
#This will be my first pour and we will be exposed to the elements, so concerned if I will get it level
#Possablity of damage to the floor while building the wood structure and it may be exposed over winter at the speed things are going

Option 2:
#Hardcore
#Gavel
#Sand
#DPM
#20cm EPS Insulation
#10cm Concreate slab
#6.5cm Screed with underfloor heating

Pros
#Can lay the Screed once the building is weather tight
Cons
#Total Concrete mass will be 16.5cm, worried what effect this will have on performance of UFH
#Maybe put the EPS Insulation on top of the Concrete, worried the low floor level may make the timer build difficult
#Have to do multiple pours

Option 3:
#Hardcore
#Gavel
#Sand
#DPM
#20cm EPS Insulation
#5cm Concreate slab
#5cm Screed with underfloor heating

Pros
#Can lay the Screed once the building is weather tight
Cons
#Have to do multiple pours
#Two thin pours of concrete a good idea!?

Options 1 and 2 appear to be common, so keen to get feedback on others who have done this before. Option 3 I have not read anywhere, prob due to the fact it's just a bad idea!

Keen for feedback and suggestions, thank you all!

-Tim

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:06 am