How to make a high pressure tap work on low pressure system
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shizzle
Labourer
Labourer

How to make a high pressure tap work on low pressure system

by shizzle » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:29 pm

I bought a kitchen sink mixer tap on the internet (silly, I know!) that I suspect may be a high pressure tap. Is there a simple cost effective way to make it operate adequately on a low pressure system? Thanks

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 pm

in short, no, unfortunately. the cold side should be fine - your kitchen cold tap must be mains fed in accordance with the regs as it's your drinking water. therefore will work fine with that tap. however the only way to get the hot side to work properly will be to install a pump.

it might be possible to switch the tap's innards for low pressure but i doubt it. most expedient option is to change the tap. see if they do a low pressure version of the same.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:13 pm

good morning
probarly some form of inline pump search the internet or return the tap and get a low pressure one
bob

shizzle
Labourer
Labourer

by shizzle » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:54 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]in short, no, unfortunately. the cold side should be fine - your kitchen cold tap must be mains fed in accordance with the regs as it's your drinking water. therefore will work fine with that tap. however the only way to get the hot side to work properly will be to install a pump.

it might be possible to switch the tap's innards for low pressure but i doubt it. most expedient option is to change the tap. see if they do a low pressure version of the same.[/quote]

Thanks for your help, one more question, how is the hot water likely to perform if I fit it as is.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:01 pm

there is absolutely nothing to stop you trying. the worst that will happen is that there will be no hot water coming through the tap.

fit it and see, it's really the only way you will know. it depends on how good your hot water pressure is presently - at best it will be ok, at worst you will get only a trickle or possibly no hot water at all. worth a try before exploring all other options.

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Re: How to make a high pressure tap work on low pressure system

by mraich » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Just read this problem and I have the same low, low pressure - after having what is supposed to be for a low pressure system. Could you suggest what kind of pressure pump would be required for the hot water side?
Thanks.
mraich

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:48 am