Livingroom Floor Joist Strength to Support Aquarium
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ramsay
Labourer
Labourer

Livingroom Floor Joist Strength to Support Aquarium

by ramsay » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi
I'm proposing putting an aquarium into my living room. The length of the aquarium is 7ft long x 1.5ft wide. The approximate weight when full of water is around 1000kg.
I have lifted an access panel to have a look under my floor to see what way my floor joists are running. They are running the same direction as the length of the aquarium tank.
Could I have some advice if my floor joists would be strong enough to take the weight ?
In my picture the tank will be sitting over the joist area that's supported by brick.
Thanks
Brian
Attachments
101.jpg

TimoS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Livingroom Floor Joist Strength to Support Aquarium

by TimoS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Id chop up few 4x2s into 1f lenghts,stick them flat on the concrete ( use some damp coarse under them) and then screw in vertical supports running from joist to timber on the concrete. I did that when i got snooker table 7 years ago and so far all good.

ramsay
Labourer
Labourer

by ramsay » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks for your help.

Shem KSW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Shem KSW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:36 pm

extra legs a great idea as above or run opposing direction 6x2 joists underneath chocked up on blocks. This would spread the load really well and give a post and beam type load spreading effect.

I did both of the above when adding a 250kg concrete island in my kitchen last year. It hasn't fallen through yet ;-)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:14 pm