Cutting Fence Posts to Size When Already Installed
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
truebluedom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cutting Fence Posts to Size When Already Installed

by truebluedom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I have recently installed a load of picket fences along a raised wall, the ground wasn’t perfect due to the pre-existing wall so the fence post have been installed and concreted in at different heights.

Fence is on and level, now I just want to level off the fence posts (they are 3x3’s). I plan to use a reciprocating or hand saw, this tool looks ideal but I’m not spending over £100 on it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ReciProMate-Re ... B00KSTW0Z6

Anyone got another method or product I can use to ensure I get a straight cut?

Thanks

Dom

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Cutting Fence Posts to Size When Already Installed

by Skid Sprocket » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:38 pm

The tool you refer to looks like the guide only you will also need the reciprocating saw. How many posts have you to cut? if it only up to ten or so i would use a handsaw. Mark a line about half way between the top of the top rail and the top of the pickets at a slight angle away from the pickets (to allow rain water to run off) and invest in a new handsaw, under £10, and the 3 x 3 should be easily cut off. If you have dozens to cut then hiring a power saw for a one off job may be best the option.

truebluedom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cutting Fence Posts to Size When Already Installed

by truebluedom » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Skid Sprocket wrote:The tool you refer to looks like the guide only you will also need the reciprocating saw. How many posts have you to cut? if it only up to ten or so i would use a handsaw. Mark a line about half way between the top of the top rail and the top of the pickets at a slight angle away from the pickets (to allow rain water to run off) and invest in a new handsaw, under £10, and the 3 x 3 should be easily cut off. If you have dozens to cut then hiring a power saw for a one off job may be best the option.

Thanks, I think only 4 or 5 will need cutting

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:38 am