Living Room Radiator Doesn't Heat up Properly and Stays Cold at Bottom
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wsprhino
Labourer
Labourer

Living Room Radiator Doesn't Heat up Properly and Stays Cold at Bottom

by wsprhino » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 am

I have a problem with one of the radiators in my living room. All the other radiators in the house, 6, work with no problems.

The problem radiator only heats up at the top and no matter how long I leave the radiator on it doesn't heat up at the bottom.

When I first moved into the house the radiator wasn't too bad it did heat up a little. So, I had my plumber replace all the radiators in the house. The problem stayed. He then added a cleaning solution for a couple of weeks and the problem seemed to clear up. It took a while to heat up fully but it did heat up.

When the cleaning solution was cleaned out the radiator wouldn't heat up at all. I turned all the other radiators off and the bad radiator started to heat up a little but was still clap cold at the bottom.

When the system was cleaned the water ran fairly clear. He could fill the test tube to the top and the mark at the bottom was still visible.

The inpipe is scalding hot but the outpipe is lukewarm.

The plumber reckons it could be a pinched pipe that is restricting the flow between the outpipe and the ring. The only way to be certain is to rip up the floorboards but the 'ring' pipe maybe in the kitchen and there is no way I am going to have the kitchen floor ripped up.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

I am not convinced by the restricted flow theory. It seems to me it would still heat up but take a lot longer. It never heats up properly like all the others do.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading this far.

Steve

Phredda1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Living Room Radiator Doesn't Heat up Properly and Stays Cold at Bottom

by Phredda1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Did your plumber fit new valves when the rads were changed?

wsprhino
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Living Room Radiator Doesn't Heat up Properly and Stays Cold at Bottom

by wsprhino » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 am

Yes. Everything new apart from the pipes leading into and out of radiator.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:35 pm