Large Crack in Ceiling of Loft Conversion
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
musicaldave
Labourer
Labourer

Large Crack in Ceiling of Loft Conversion

by musicaldave » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi, I'm hoping you may be able to offer me some advice. I moved into a new house late last year and it has a large loft conversion with dormer (2 bed, 1 bath). I have all the building reg certificates, and it seems to have been well constructed. It's around 12 years old.

In one of the bedrooms though, theres a large crack in the ceiling / roof that runs the length of the bedroom. I've tried filling it and, within a few months, it's cracked again. They're big cracks, where the two sides of plaster have almost folded over each other. But there's no bowing, and no corresponding crack down the walls (there's a small crack on a different wall beneath the plug socket though. It's on the curve where the sloping part of the roof meets the flat felt roof. The other, identical bedroom, is fine.

Do you think this is just superficial, or could there be any structural problems here? There's no sign of any cracks in the lower floors beneath the conversion.

If it's the former, I may try taping it, or using a stretchy acrylic based filler to allow some expansion movement, but I just wanted to check I shouldn't be worried before making good.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.
Attachments
roof.jpg

ronan01
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Large Crack in Ceiling of Loft Conversion

by ronan01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

ceiling cracks are the general deterioration of the houses. However, cracks especially those wider than 1/8-inch may indicate structural issues. There are various underpinning methods and materials that can be used to repair your foundation and stop cracks. I advise you to get the help of good building contractors or experts to get rid of such cracks. Good luck :)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:19 pm