Natural Stone Wall With Mortar Project and Advice Needed!
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samuelodog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Natural Stone Wall With Mortar Project and Advice Needed!

by samuelodog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am

Hi, I'm a novice building a small natural stone (Cotswold) wall with recessed seating – c. 4m long wall, double skin.
I have about 200 stones, various shapes, sizes.
My plan is to do footing, then get cracking.
My questions are:
1.Which mortar do I use? I want it to be light coloured to match stone, but to last.
I've heard lime is good, but difficult to work with and less strong, although more flexible?
Some suggest a mix of lime, cement, sand? 1:1:5? Others say this is heresy. Which is it!? Any others have suggested snowcrete to make it lighter?
2. Also, once mortared, there will be space between the two skins of stone, as the wall is c. 60 cm wide at the bottom. Can this space be filled with concrete and small stones? Or does it need to be more mortar.
3. I want to include planters/flowerpot sunk in basins at each end – should these be made of different cement/mortar if plants will be watered? Do they need drainage channels?
4. Should I use wall ties, if so – how?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Natural Stone Wall With Mortar Project and Advice Needed!

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 pm

if you want a light coloured mix use white cement hydrated lime and sand, mix ratio of 1.1.4
you don't need wall ties, you can use gravel to infill

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

by KitchenGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:17 am

I would say the same as Welsh Brickie being honest. Lime mortar is very good when used right and in the correct application but it's not the only player in town. It's tough to get a neat finish and can get really messy if you are not experienced working with it. Forget the heresy mob for some there is never any other way to go than the latest trend. and this is not a conservation project. Snowcrete is a brand of white Portland cement. If you are looking to make the colour more in keeping, use a yellow sand or a little ochre dye. Most layers fill the middle with the broken bits of stone left around, I always mixed it with a bit of mortar but maybe I am being fussy. Don't really need ties but you can put some in if you want. Traditionally you used a "bonder" stone every square yard, that being a stone large enough to straddle both skins of the wall although that tradition seems to have gone by the bye these days. Good luck and have fun.

samuelodog
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samuelodog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 am

Many thanks All

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:29 am