Untreated Wooden Gate Swelling in the Wet and Jamming
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stronach
Tradesman
Tradesman

Untreated Wooden Gate Swelling in the Wet and Jamming

by stronach » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:24 pm

I had to have a new side gate due to a neighbour having some building work done. He kindly agreed to pay for it and the builders had one made to fit and their carpenter fitted it about 3 months ago. It had some sort of treatment applied and I added a coat of Sadolin extra wood stain. However the gate had jammed twice and I have had to sand the edge down with my drill which was messy and time consuming. I noticed that the gate is only white wood, not tannalised so that is why it is swelling after wet weather. Is their anything I can do about this apart from getting a tannalised wood gate? I am reluctant to do this as it is a solid gate and it would look bad to my neighbour who has been very good to me.

DocMartin
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Untreated Wooden Gate Swelling in the Wet and Jamming

by DocMartin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 am

Funnily enough, I just hung a garden gate, painted it with Sadolin (two coats - Teak colour) and it too has swollen a little and needs easing.

Here's the thing - although my gate was untreated also, I don't think that Tanalising stops water swelling wood. Tanalising is an anti-rot treatment, not a paint or waterproofer. So, that has no effect on the swelling at all.

The fact is, in your case, as in my case, not enough of a gap was left between the gate and the frame to allow for seasonal movement like this.

I'm going to plain a bit off the edge of my gate and repaint the edge. Which is what you'll have to do if it starts binding again. Getting a tanalised gate won't help you at all!

stronach
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Untreated Wooden Gate Swelling in the Wet and Jamming

by stronach » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks DocMartin, I note your comments and appreciate the advice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:56 pm