Socket Burn't and Cracked but Fuse Didn't Trip?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brendanxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Socket Burn't and Cracked but Fuse Didn't Trip?

by brendanxx » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:34 am

SOCKETS.JPG
Hi,
Attached is pic of double socket in my washing machine shed. The socket no longer works and I don't know why what made it so cracked and burnt - also a bit confused as to why the fuse didn't trip. I suppose it could have been moisture getting in, but would that have resulted in such burning? I imagine it's not a hard job to simply change the socket but would welcome any thoughts as to why this might have happened. The plug worked perfectly well before.
thanks
Brendan

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Socket Burn't and Cracked but Fuse Didn't Trip?

by Mr White » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:06 pm

It has overheated because of a bad connection, which fuses do not "detect" so that is why the fuse did not blow.

Change the socket AND the plug, use a well known brand of both to prevent it re-occurring.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Unusual to see that on neutral pin, as said poor connection causes it, you may find cable damaged.

But will need both socket and plug changing.

brendanxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

by brendanxx » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24 am

Sorry for delay in replying. Many thanks for swift advice. I will change the socket and also the plug - although when I plugged the washing machine into extension cable (thinking the problem was simply with the socket) it worked all right - I guess though that I should still change plug - better safe than sorry!
cheers
Brendan

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Ditto with the last 2 comments. You can often find older washing machines can put more strain on a socket & plug as they had larger heating elements & higher wattage motors that can push a 13amp plug/socket unless good quality.

brendanxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

by brendanxx » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi,
About to change socket but confused
(1) can't find socket like the old one - socket +light switch - only ones for cookers (maybe that's what I need?)
(2) Is there some way I can use a simple double socket - put a plug on for the light?
(3) If (2) what should I be looking for in a double socket? I'm attaching photos of two from B&Q. (the usb one is 13 amp.) - and my damaged one.

Any help greatly appreciated. Sorry about being such a complete beginner!
Brendan
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Since the patress is for a single socket it would be easier if you buy a single socket.

Click here

Cheaper at screwfix Click here

You can even get a grey one Click here

I am not going to mention the red one.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:34 pm