Creating a Storage Area in Loft Plus Re-Insulating From Scratch
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mun.rassul
Labourer
Labourer

Creating a Storage Area in Loft Plus Re-Insulating From Scratch

by mun.rassul » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Good afternoon all, I am planning to attempt to create a storage area in the loft, when I went up there to have a look at the space and what my options might be, well , it all looked pretty old and messy and probably also explains why my home is looses heat so quickly.

Just so I take the right steps in re-insulating and creating abit of a storage area, I need to know where i can put some weight (loft boards etc.)

I have added a couple pictures so I can better expain myself.
It is a mid-terraced house.

These images are of my loft , there are 3 sets of beams, 2 big ones, which i assume are the main support that go from left to right of the house, there are smaller beams running along the loft floor from the fornt to the back of the house (roof of the top floor) of the loft and then a few floating ones attachedto the roof.

View of my loft
View of my loft

View of my loft
View of my loft

my question is, do i put the floor boards for the storage area on the smaller beams going from the frontt o the back of the house (using stilts as I plan to re-insulate, or do i have to fashion some sort of platform in between the 2 big beams?

There is a brick missing between my loft and neighbours loft , theirs is way more clear than mines but it looks to be the same as what I have, minus the floating wooden beams attached to the roof, here is the image.

Neighbour loft
Neighbour loft

and I also found a tear on the black material in the room, that seems to be letting light in, but seems to be sealed.
roof
roof

I dont intend to be going up there often , but I have about 100KG worth of things to store up there, any tips and ideas would be much apreciated.

I do intend for this to be a DIY project as im not at the full on loft conversion stage yet.

Thank you all
Mun

HarryCrowther
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Creating a Storage Area in Loft Plus Re-Insulating From Scratch

by HarryCrowther » Tue May 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering how you got on with your loft insulation and boards? I've been to Makers Central in Birmingham this weekend and I've got the DIY bug again. I'm going to board my son's loft using 22mm thick boards. They've just had a baby and they are going to need the extra storage space. I won't be able to screw the boards directly onto the joists because there won't be enough room for 270mm of insulation. Did you end up using loft legs?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:10 pm