All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Maxie
Labourer
Labourer

Missing Radiator Brackets !!

by Maxie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:49 am

Hi,

I recently had two radiators disconnected and taken off the wall in order to get some plastering work done. Now I have to get them reconnected, but the original fixing brackets have gone missing.

The plumber advises that without the original brackets, the radiators are no more than "scrap", which I find hard to believe. When he realised that I wasn't going to agree to him fitting new radiators, he mentioned that there is a universal fixing kit that he can get. However he also said that it is rubbish and that within a short amount of time, the radiator can slip out of position.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the universal fixing kit and can advise if it in fact does the job adequately.

Many Thanks

Maxie

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi Maxie, I'm sure your plumber's talking tosh!
If there's four horizontal plates across back of radiator you should not have a problem finding brackets. If you think that you may have problem getting brackets. This is what i'd do! get the smallest radiator throw it in back of car and take it to your local plumbers merchant and ask them for the brackets you need. As long as the radiator wasn't fitted by the Romans you should be okay!
KB

phyjk1
Labourer
Labourer

by phyjk1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:23 pm

kbrownie is right your plumber is talking tosh - which is a lot more polite than I would put it.

The brackets can be easily obtained from any half way decent plumbers merchant eg Plumb Centre or even B&Q or such. Price varies a bit, but expect to pay £5 - 10 for a pair. As for needing a plumber, you dont, all the brakets need is screwing to the wall securely, and the pipes etc will all still be in place.

Do it yourself or rope in a friend to do it for you.

If you have any doubt about getting it right google it and you will be able to find some good guides (with pictures) to see you right.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:16 pm