Looking for a Miracle for Painting Over Flaking Paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tboyd86
Labourer
Labourer

Looking for a Miracle for Painting Over Flaking Paint

by Tboyd86 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi! I've stripped the wallpaper in my room and it's not great underneath. There has clearly only been one coat of paint on top of the plaster but it's flaking in places. I've sugar soaped and scrubbed the walls as preparation. I'm struggling to scrape off any more paint (down to plaster) but obviously painting over will show the areas where it goes from paint to plaster.

I've read that a mist coat should be applied to plaster to prevent future peeling paint but I wondered if anyone has successfully revived a similar surface before I do this? I don't want to wallpaper over it again (bad enough the first time!) and I'd rather not use lining paper because of the lines. Are there any especially thick paints that could help reduce the imperfections?

Re-plastering isn't really an option at this stage either.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
DSC_3335 - Copy (2).JPG

MollyFinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Looking for a Miracle for Painting Over Flaking Paint

by MollyFinch » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 am

I did a job on a ceiling once that looked like that. The guy I was working with suggested mixing PVA with the ceiling paint. We applied it very thick and it did work. The only thing was that the PVA made the paint a bit translucent so we had to apply another coat of emulsion over the top. I saw the ceiling about three years later and it still looked smooth - no flaking.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:09 am