Rear Garden Design Requires Input
Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Naylor
Labourer
Labourer

Rear Garden Design Requires Input

by Naylor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm currently planning a 2 phase project for my back garden and looking for some input.

This is the first project I've undertaken and I'm wondering if the design I've created makes sense with the garden I have. The garden is quite sloped at the back and I'm also worried about drainage. There is a garage to the right and the house at the front.

The first phase is having artifical grass laid with the 2nd phase to add a retaining wall seating area and patio.

Would this design work as is?
Attachments
What it looks like now
What it looks like now
First phase
First phase
Full design
Full design

DIYQueen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Rear Garden Design Requires Input

by DIYQueen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:56 pm

That looks like a perfectly sensible design to me. It makes good use of the space, is low maintenance and modern. If you are concerned about drainage you can simply dig a trench along boundaries to a drain - line it with weed retardant sheets and fill it with coarse gravel. Cover with more sheeting and then your artificial grass. We did this around a house that used to get a totally waterlogged garden. The garden drained instantly and we never had damp issues in the house. It was definitely worth the time and effort. It isn't complicated to do.

Naylor
Labourer
Labourer

by Naylor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated.

The problem with directing it to the drain in this garden seems to be that the drain is higher than what will be ground-level for the artifical grass. Would I need to somehow drop the drain down to funnel the water? The trench sounds like a great idea

DIYQueen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by DIYQueen » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Yes I would think so.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:57 pm