What's the Best Paint Brush Choice?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TeeJay
Labourer
Labourer

What's the Best Paint Brush Choice?

by TeeJay » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:48 am

I'm doing painting around the house and the brusges I have are not great. I've been told by a lot of people I should go for Purdy.

However, based on research I have found that there are people who say the quality of Purdy brushes has declined and that there are actually better paint brushes for less money, designed for modern paints.

Here is an interesting link: https://traditionalpainter.com/battle-f ... aint-brush

I'm seriously looking at the Proform Picasso's although I don't know which ones to go for. How much difference is there between Wooster Silver Tips, Wooster Chinex FTP and Proform Picasso?

What's the difference between Proform Picasso Original Oval Angled Cut and Proform Picasso Oval Angled Minotaur?

What do you all think about these different brushes and which are going to be the best for cabinet, trim, door and furniture painting? Then, which sizes/design should I go for (straight/angled/long or short handle)?

I'm going to be using a combination of paints from ZInsser BINS to Matt/Satin Emulsion. I tend to avoid gloss paint at all costs but will also be using varnish.

DaveyTed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What's the Best Paint Brush Choice?

by DaveyTed » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Firstly for BIN use cheap brushes as shellac is difficult to clean out of a brush. Wrap the brush in cling film or polythene to stop it going hard between uses and don't bother cleaning.
Secondly, will all the other paints be water based? If so synthetic brushes are ideal like Fossa Vipers from Decorating Direct. Very much like the Proform Blaze but lower price.
Happy painting and remember the end result is only as good as the preparation. However much you pay for a brush it isn't a magic wand!

TeeJay
Labourer
Labourer

Re: What's the Best Paint Brush Choice?

by TeeJay » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. You guessed right about other paints too. I went for the Corona Excaliber brushes after much deliberation but am interested in knowing what is best to use with Zinsser BINS.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:30 pm