Advice Needed on Pitched Roof Replacement for Flat Roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Djokonium
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Pitched Roof Replacement for Flat Roof

by Djokonium » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:17 pm

Hello all,

I've recently had a pitched roof constructed over an old flat roof which had seen better days, and I've got a question about the work I'd really appreciate some impartial advice on.

Essentially, the new roof has a pitch of 17 degrees. The joiner who completed the structure helpfully advised that I should be careful using flat tiles (to match the main roof), as water can come back up behind them especially in adverse weather. With this in mind, I was surprised to see her fitted the fascia board a good 2.5 inches proud of the roof itself, meaning the final row of tiles will be a much shallower pitch. To add to this, while I've been waiting for someone to tile it, the roof has leaked copiously at this point despite eaves protectors as water is pooling and then being blown in under high winds (I'm on a big hill).

My question therefore, is should I get the fascia board dropped so its flush with the pitched roof, or will it be okay once the thing is tiled? My concern is that longer term, even with tiles any water that does get in will sit and stagnate, causing eventual problems.

Many thanks in advance for what is probably a really naive question.

Image at https://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j4 ... 191638.jpg

HWRoofer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Advice Needed on Pitched Roof Replacement for Flat Roof

by HWRoofer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Djokonium

You're right to be concerned - this doesn't look right. The fascia should be lowered to allow tiles to sit at the correct pitch to allow run off. You will end up with the problems you mentioned. I would suggest you get a professional roofer to come look at this (most should give a free quote), or at least whoever you have to come to tile it should be able to fix it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:51 pm