Extractor Fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andy F
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extractor Fan

by Andy F » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi, Planning on building an en-suite and thinking of an extractor fan, Whilst I understand it come under Special locations I was hoping someone could help me understand something, From what I've read regarding Special locations, the Fan I was thinking of having is a 240vt, sit's in the loft and has an Ip rating of 24 and would presumably be easily wired up to the existing Upstairs lifghting circuit. But from docs I've read I'm a tad confused on whether the fan needs to be on a circuit that is RCD Protected?( which the lighting circuit isn't ) I was hoping to have the fan directly over the shower, which would bring it in at zone 2 or 3.

Thanks
Andy

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi AndyF, Not surprised over confusion, new regs not in force until July 2008 which will require all circuits for bathroom equipment even light to be on RCD.
At the moment if using inline duct fan in loft with 'elephant trunk' ducting to ceiling and outside then fan is not in any zone!
If fan itself is direct in ceiling then it must be outside zones 0,1&2.
Either way if connecting to bathroom light then work comes under part-p of bldg. regs & must be done by registered leckie or if DIY then must first be reported to L.A.B. Control & fee paid b4 starting work, hope this helps,
SPARX

Andy F
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Andy F » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:11 am

Nice one sparx, thanks for the reply. No probs with getting a leckie in to do the work, it's just that the guy from the council wanted a drawing of what was gonna be where.
Thanks
Andy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:42 am