Fitting Replacement Danfoss FP715si Programmer
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grandad99
Tradesman
Tradesman

Fitting Replacement Danfoss FP715si Programmer

by Grandad99 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 am

Discovered during the night that the central heating was still on despite the programmer indicator light being off. Turned the thermostat right down but heating stayed on. Time for a new programmer.

Relieved to see that this programmer is still available but thanks to coronavirus getting a tradesman to fit one could be a problem as we are in isolation due to age.

Assuming that the wiring of a new programmer is still the same is it a DIY job for someone with basic skills but definitely no knowledge of electrics?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting Replacement Danfoss FP715si Programmer

by ericmark » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 pm

Yes, in the main they fit on a base, two screws at bottom hold the programmer to base, you slack them off don't need to fully remove and old unit hinges off and new unit plugs in, always do with power off as there are live terminals you can touch, but no wiring as such.

There is a 230 volt and 24 volt model it seems, this is the instructions. https://www.plumbase.co.uk/link/1/h002877_20563_t.pdf
Unlikely to be 24 volt version.

However you say "Turned the thermostat right down but heating stayed on." which does not seem to point to the programmer.

So I suspect a motorised valve micro switch has stuck? Basic way central heating works, programmer sends power to thermostat, and thermostat sends power to motorised valve, and once valve is fully open it sends power to boiler.

The micro switch sticking is a reasonable common fault, however can't really change the micro switch, you have to either swap motorised valve head, or whole valve.

So I think you will find even with the programmer removed, boiler still runs?

So you could try gentle tapping the motorised valve and see if micro switch opens again.

Grandad99
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Fitting Replacement Danfoss FP715si Programmer

by Grandad99 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Many thanks for a helpful reply.
Before calling a plumber I'd like to try tapping the valve - I presume it is part of the collection of pipes and controls around the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard. How do I recognise it?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1