laminate floor, on fitted carpet or underlay?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellmre
Apprentice
Apprentice

laminate floor, on fitted carpet or underlay?

by russellmre » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Dear floor experts, I'd like to put in laminate flooring in my bedroom to replace the fitted carpet. The carpet is short pile. Can I just put the floor on top of the carpet or is it better to take it out and put underlay instead? thanks for your help,
Martin

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: laminate floor, on fitted carpet or underlay?

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi russellmre,
Probably better to take up carpet an underlay (if fitted) so you can check the evenness of the existing floor. Manufacturers of laminate floor will specify how much out of flat their laminate will accommodate.
Rahrds S

russellmre
Apprentice
Apprentice

by russellmre » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Thanks! I took up a bit of the carpet and the concrete floor is quite even. On the packaging it says up to 2mm tolerance. Do you think the carpet will be good enough or i should get underlay instead? Carpet is 6 mm thick, it doesn’t have any underlay itself. See pictures below. On the one hand, putting in underlay will be more work, on the other, if it gives a better result it will be worth it.
Attachments
CE09E7C2-3BFF-40DE-986C-C8CBFCB24B3C.jpeg
F6E61453-809A-44AF-AEF6-61EDF2B36FA8.jpeg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:02 am

Hi russellmre.
Laminate floor foam type underlay is about 3mm thick max. I guess whether to use existing carpet will depend on the quality of your laminate and it’s flexibiliy.
If you decide to use the carpet you will have to remove the gripper strips because these create an edge lump.
Regards S.

russellmre
Apprentice
Apprentice

by russellmre » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy. I think the carpet would work as underlay but the opinions I’ve read on the Internet are divided on this, so i suppose I’d better not take the risk- using proper underlay will not be that much extra expense and work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:47 am