Starter toolset gift for 14 year old
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
babs12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Starter toolset gift for 14 year old

by babs12 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:01 am

I would like to buy a (not too expensive) starter tool, or set of tools for my 14 year old grandson. I would also appreciate advice on how to build up his tools. They would need to be in a good box, or would it be best to buy a tool storage box first? Many thanks in advance, for your advice.

Decky
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Starter toolset gift for 14 year old

by Decky » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Whatever the age it’s always best to go for the best tools you can afford from a reputable dealer. I can’t advise on specific items as I don’t know your budget. If it’s screwdrivers make sure that they have properly hardened blades and that the handles aren’t too small, etc. Buying cheap tools that blunt, break or distort easily could put any first time user off DIY. The only exception to this rule is if the tools are for a 5 year old they can be made of plastic.

The tools to go for will depend on what he wants to do. If it’s woodwork he will need screwdrivers, chisels, saws, etc. If it general repair he will need screwdrivers, spanners, pliers, etc.

Best to discuss with his parents as to what is best to go for along with safety aspects before buying sharp tools like chisels and knives.

babs12
Apprentice
Apprentice

by babs12 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. You understood immediately why I asked the question. I don't have huge amounts to spend. I know that I could spend a lot on something that is not very good/strong. I've started off with an inexpensive automatic screwdriver, and asked him to tell me if it is strong enough. Then I think I'll go for sets of spanners etc. But I understand that its not good to get something that is not fit for purpose in the end. Many thanks once again for your reply. God Bless! Barbara

Decky
Labourer
Labourer

by Decky » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Ok, probably is best to go for one thing at a time like blowing your budget on one or a set of good quality screwdrivers.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:09 pm