Domestic hot water
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
desandlinda@btinternet.co
Labourer
Labourer

Domestic hot water

by desandlinda@btinternet.co » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Simple question. How do I turn off the flow of hot water to the downstairs taps and washing machine ?.
My hot water cylinder is upstairs but not sure which stopcock to turn. There does not seem to be one on the hot water pipes !!
Regards.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:20 pm

assuming it is a gravity system there will be a pipe coming down from the storage tank in the loft and going into the bottom of the hot water tank this should have a red circular valve on it this is the gate valve close this valve this will stop the cold water entering the hot water tank and the hot water will stop flowing as it all works on gravity and pressure,open the hot taps to take out the surplus water first

aztecjon
Labourer
Labourer

by aztecjon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:58 pm

try turning every stop valve off! Cant do any harm so long as the boiler is turned off. U may find they are seized.
If this doesnt work. - Turn off the mains to the house and turn on the hot taps. Ithe hot tap will soon turn run dry

badger
Labourer
Labourer

by badger » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:48 pm

Turn off the valve on the cold water inlet to the tank. Hot water will then only flow for a few seconds.

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:55 pm

i suggest that if you turn the gate valves off and they haven't been turned off before, they may not turn back on (own headache!!!) i would replacethem before fill your tank up, just a bit of advice.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:38 pm