Old chimney render repair
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brendanxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Old chimney render repair

by brendanxx » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:38 pm

generalPhotos_0_284213_1604404285.jpg
generalPhotos_0_284213_1604404284.jpg
Hi,
I want to investigate doing the following work but want to make sure that whatever I do is the best under the circumstances
I have a damp spot, getting larger, on my living room ceiling. It appears the problem is from cracked chimney rendering and old flashing on roof that's coming away. I've had two roofers in, both agree on my diagnosis.. One says the problem can be solved by (I quote):

To re dress, re fix and re seal existing lead flashing to main chimney stack.
*Make good to cement work to main chimney.
*Apply several coats of brick seal to main chimney.
*Apply lead mastik to flashing around main chimney and down neighbouring flank wall at front of the property.
*To leave work area clean and tidy and dispose of all debris associated with works.

Total cost of above £960 inc vat

The other roofer said that sealing/repairing cracked rendering wouldn't work - it would just split again and let water through. He said the rendering would have to be removed and that could entail, if the bricks were damaged/crumbling , possibly rebuilding the chimney at great expense.

So I can take a more informed view I'd welcome any thoughts on this. The house is old (circa 1800) and no doubt the chimney bricks are in poor condition. I can't afford the risk of rebuilding the chimney. Also I shall be selling the house in a year or so,

Any help most appreciated!
Attachments
generalPhotos_0_284213_1604404284.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Old chimney render repair

by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi brendanxx
Go for the first option, it should be ok for a few years.
Regards S

brendanxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Old chimney render repair

by brendanxx » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks - yes, I think that's good advice - he says it's guaranteed so that's an added appeal (though what exactly is guaranteed we are yet to ask!).

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:29 pm