Help with new loft project and loft conversion
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

Bashyman
Labourer
Labourer

Help with new loft project and loft conversion

by Bashyman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Hi all,
Please bear with me and I'll explain my project.
I have an end terrace house with a two story extension. We are booked in to have a full loft conversion, but the local council (Thurrock), will not let me have a dormer over the extension side so the dormer and conversion can only be under PD on the original side of the house. This means I will have a separate side for storage. It will be sectioned off with a door once the conversion is done by the builders.
This leaves me my project of creating a nice storage space over the extension.
When the extension was built (before we moved in), the builder made it conversion ready (as you can see by photo's below).Bigger joists and no structures floor to ceiling.
When I moved in I quickly did some loft boarding on the floor and that's how it's stayed for over 10 years.
What I would like to do though is create a warm loft instead of the freezing cold one. Also want to create in the eaves each side some storage cupboards.
Now my couple of questions:
1. the space between each joist on the ceiling is 350mm wide and 150mm deep. I've researched and think that the best insulation would be insualtion boarding (celotex for eg), but have costed this up and for just between the joists its over £500, plus from what I've read ideally another thinner layer would go over that!!
I don't really have that extra cash and for a storage area was wondering if normal insulation (earthwool) would be sufficient, or would it still be cold?
2. If I can use normal insulation, should I get 100mm dep for an airgap, or squeeze 200mm into it.
3. Would it be best then to get sheets of 25mm insulation board as a cover before I plaster board? or can I just plaster straight over insulation between joists?
4. What could I do on the wall to insulate (with the white breeze blocks-Picture #5)
5. As you can see, there is a steel running through the middle which is higher than the loft boarding. I intend on purchasing 15 scaffold boards and laying them down to raise the height, so I could then underlay and laminate flooring at the end. Would this be correct?
6. Lastly, as you can see in photo #4, there is an extra wide random joist sticking out. Could I cut this flush to the floor? Can't see any reason for it being there. I intend on hiding the pipework in the storage that side so that shouldn't be an issue
Thanks in advance for any help...I'm not a builder, but not afraid to put my hand to anything, just not knowledgeable in this area at all (as you can probably tell :-))
Also, if there's anymore advice or tips you can give me that'd be great
Attachments
Picture 5
Picture 5
Picture 4
Picture 4
Picture 3
Picture 3
Picture 2 - Roof joists
Picture 2 - Roof joists
Picture 1 - Roof joists
Picture 1 - Roof joists