Opening up Kitchen to Conservatory - Removing Doors and WIndow
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LF1968
Labourer
Labourer

Opening up Kitchen to Conservatory - Removing Doors and WIndow

by LF1968 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi
I am planning to remove a set of French Doors and a Kitchen window, both of which go from the kitchen into a conservatory.

I am aware of building regs requirements to do this and that is all in hand and should be no issue as we have a warm roof system already fitted, so the conservatory is thermally compliant to open it up.

I am not removing any actual external walls, I just want to remove a window 1.6M wide and a set of French doors 1.4M wide and want to check if I need to put any additional support in place, or if the current lintels (assuming they are fitted) will be sufficient support when the doors and windows are removed (permanently).

The house was build in 2000 by Barret is is standard modern build, brick and thermal block construction and the doors and window I am removing would originally have been on the outside wall of the house, but are now both in the conservatory.

So the question is, will there be lintels already fitted (I am assuming there will be) and secondly, will they be sufficient to support the back of the house with the doors and windows permanently removed?

I am more than capable to remove the window and doors and refinish the surrounding areas, but just like to check with experts when it comes to changing things that could possibly have a structural impact.

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Opening up Kitchen to Conservatory - Removing Doors and WIndow

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi lf1968
In an ideal world lintels will have been fitted to suit the opening size and to support the inner and outer cavities.
It is very unlikely that a lintel would not have been fitted to support the inner leaf so you need to check whether there is a flange on the lintel supporting the outer leaf. You may need to do some chiselling before removing the frames.
Regards S

LF1968
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Opening up Kitchen to Conservatory - Removing Doors and WIndow

by LF1968 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:44 pm

stoneyboy
Thanks for your response. Good advice , I’ll get my chisel out and check for a flange on the outer brick course before I remove anything.
Thanks
LF1968

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:48 pm