Kitchen socket not working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Danjo
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen socket not working

by Danjo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:00 pm

hi there, i have a double socket (2 plug outlets) in my kitchen that's not working. all the other ones in the kitchen (one double and one single) and elsewhere in the flat work fine. i've checked the fuse box unit and all the mcb's are up (on). there are 2 red ones which are 32 amps so i think these are the ones controlling the socket outlet circuits. anyway, like i say they're all up so i presume none have tripped. as far as i can remember this socket has never worked but it would be really useful because at the moment we are having to run an extension cable from the nearby single socket to plug in the cooker (which is gas but also has a plug for its electric functions - lights, timer, clock, fan), and then another extention cable plugged into the first one to reach the fridge/freezer and washing machine. the kettle, microwave and toaster are all plugged into an exact same double socket on the other side of the kitchen. i've opened both double sockets and they both look like they're wired exactly the same and none of the connections are loose. do you think maybe the cable to this duff socket is damaged somewhere? there's no sign of it having been overloaded or anything as the white faceplate has no brown burn marks anywhere. i'm no electrician and don't wanna spend tons calling one over unless i have to so would appreciate any advice.

thanks in advance for any help

danjo

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi Danjo,
You say both wired the same, are there 2 sets of wires in each one? If so then both are on a ring and it would take 2 faults on cable runs to lose power to a socket, If your non-working skt only has one set of wires to it are they larger than other ones because in a flat you might only have one ring circuit and it is normal to wire for a cooker point in 4.0mm2 cable & if not being used as cooker outlet they fit a double skt in place of a cooker panel so it can easily changed if leckie cooker fitted later, in which case one 32A mcb does ring & other does Cooker point.
I think unless you have access to test equipment & know how to use it properly you may have to get someone in, a 'look-see' should only cost an hours time max @ £20-£30,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am