Options and advice for updating my old conservatory
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cksky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Options and advice for updating my old conservatory

by cksky » Mon May 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi my house has an old large lean to conservatory/orangery 10.5mt long by 3.2mt deep, which needs work. It has a single skin dwarf wall in good condition, as is the tiled floor. Wooden frame single glazed windows and doors which have rotted. 60mm X 140mm hard wood rafters at 780mm spacing supporting a sloping 25mm polycarbonate roof and glazing bars. I recently had the roof panels off because they had slipped, the all went back ok and are in good condition and leak free.

Ideally I want to replace the polycarbonate roof with a solid flat roof and replace all the windows and doors with uPVC. My concern is will the single skin dwarf wall and uPVC frames support the weight of a flat roof? Will I require building control? Who should I approach, a window company or general builder to get the work done?
Thanks in advance.

cksky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Options and advice for updating my old conservatory

by cksky » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:54 pm

Ok for now I have decided to keep the roof in place, as its water tight and just replace the windows and doors for UPVC. I have had a few installer quotes, the cheapest being £8k. I am now thinking of getting supply only and replacing them myself for £4k. My question now is how can I calculate/verify what vertical support is required?
Thanks.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:59 am