Building storage above a radiator without issues
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
romanladyway
Labourer
Labourer

Building storage above a radiator without issues

by romanladyway » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:21 am

I'm writing this perhaps already knowing it's not the ideal build but we live in a small flat which has been developed into the eves of an old victorian townhouse. The living room has slanted walls as a result and therefore we are extremely limited with wall space for radiators or storage. We are in desperate need of storage with baby on the way and the only wall able to take this is the same wall with a radiator, which can't be moved. We hope to move in a couple of years so putting under floor heating down wouldn't be a good investment for us. We have a number of huge structural issues in this building needing resolved first unfortunately.

My question is - is there a sensible way to create built in storage (thinking a TV unit with shelving to take boxes) above a radiator without ruining air flow or overheating the storage? My partner is very protective of his TV but truthfully this currently sits only 50cm in front of the radiator as it is.

Any ideas welcome - thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building storage above a radiator without issues

by stoneyboy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi romanladyway
There should not be any issues with a cupboard above a radiator as long as you leave a 10-15cm gap above the radiator. Suggest you build the cupboard out of MDF which will be more stable with the heat from the radiator.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1