Need power where there is none for TV
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dangle
Labourer
Labourer

Need power where there is none for TV

by Dangle » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Hello. This is my first post and a bit random.

We’ve just moved into a rental property and are planning on staying for about 12 months. In the front room there is an old fireplace with hearth. The sockets are to the right of that.

However because of our TV unit, it would actually fit better to the left of the fireplace. But there are no sockets there.

If we owned the place we’d get a sparky to put a spur in for us but as we’re only here for a year and it’s not our property that’s not really an option for us.

So does anyone have any suggestions of how to get power to that side of the room? I thought about an extension lead but then the wires might look a bit unsightly around the bottom of the hearth. Any ideas how to hide the extension wire?

I’ve attached a photo of the fireplace.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan
Attachments
DC0DD6F1-DC6F-4A90-85E2-A454C01CE7F3.jpeg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Need power where there is none for TV

by Mr White » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:47 pm

Can you not lift a floorboard up either side, pass an extension lead down one side and bring it up the other?

If you can't do that, you could clip it around, either over the top or round the front, or in trunking, but NOT under the carpet, failing that, trail it across the front.

fuseboxwales
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Need power where there is none for TV

by fuseboxwales » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:44 am

I agree, not many options really. Maybe white trunking up each side and across the top to contain the extension lead would be the best.

You could speak to your letting agent/landlord and ask for their electrician to install a new socket. If you're happy to pay they'll probably be ok with it. A price in the region of £60 - £80 would be average

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:16 pm