Loft boarding question on what weight boards can take
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Vanhool
Labourer
Labourer

Loft boarding question on what weight boards can take

by Vanhool » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:51 am

Hi, I have floor boarded part of my loft recently which is a fink cantilever truss rafter system. This will be for storage primarily. Nothing too heavy. However I am struggling to find what weight loads the boarding can actually take. The bottom joist chords are 120mmx35mm and 600mm long. I have also boarded one of the open brick gable ends. Will the weight load of this compromise the structure? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft boarding question on what weight boards can take

by stoneyboy » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi vanhool,
You have an unusual roof if the bottom joists are only 0.6m long - did you mean longer?
Whilst you might consider your proposed loading to be nothing too heavy, lots of nothing too heavy can become very heavy. You must specify loading per square metre and where this will be across the trussed rafter.
Regards S

Vanhool
Labourer
Labourer

by Vanhool » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. My error, the joist length is approx 6 metres. In terms of loading per square metre, I don't expect any thing more than 25kg per sq metre.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:06 pm

Hi vanhool.
In boarding out your loft you will have added 10kg per square metre. Your base joists are pretty thin so suggest you keep your 25kg loading to areas above walls below.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:06 pm