Outside PIR light.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Darkspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Outside PIR light.

by Darkspark » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:32 pm

Looking for advice on a PIR security light.
Was working fine but now comes on for 30 secs then off. Then back on 10 secs later for another 30 secs. And repeat all night without the need of motion detection. It’s wired to the mains. What the fudge is up with it? Is it a sensor problem? I’ve taken it off wall and the sensor is in a sealed unit. So cannot get to it.
Thanks.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Outside PIR light.

by Mr White » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:51 pm

If it was working as it should, and now it isn't and it has not been altered or adjusted I would suggest the unit has failed, and as it is sealed the only option you have is to replace it.
To be 100% sure you could take it down, connect a flex to it, put a plug on the other end of the flex, plug the light in and observe.

I don't really like PIR/Light combos, I use separate units, you only have to change one unit not both when it fails.

Darkspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Darkspark » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:50 pm

Mr White wrote:If it was working as it should, and now it isn't and it has not been altered or adjusted I would suggest the unit has failed, and as it is sealed the only option you have is to replace it.
To be 100% sure you could take it down, connect a flex to it, put a plug on the other end of the flex, plug the light in and observe.

I don't really like PIR/Light combos, I use separate units, you only have to change one unit not both when it fails.

Thank you. So is it possible to “make” this one be permanently on, if I wired it to a plug instead of to the mains. Or is it better to start off with a new unit. If so what am I looking for as i wanted a lantern type that is bright and not a solar or LED

Thanks.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:09 pm

DarkSpark wrote:So is it possible to “make” this one be permanently on, if I wired it to a plug instead of to the mains.

I never said that, I can only suggest you read my initial reply again.

As for "lantern type lamp" that would be down to you to choose one you like.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:25 pm