Stripped some wallpaper but unsure what to do next with part plastered wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomwilkinson84
Labourer
Labourer

Stripped some wallpaper but unsure what to do next with part plastered wall

by tomwilkinson84 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:11 pm

I bought a flat recently which needed some modernisation. I started by taking the wallpaper off and scrubbing the walls with a view to painting them, but I'm slightly stumped as to what I need to do next.

The bottom section of the walls are plastered and have been painted over; the top sections are unpainted plasterboard. The walls are level and smooth to the touch with the exception of the white areas in the picture where the top section and bottom section meet (which I'm going to sand down) but both sections have a lot of very fine cracks in them.

Basically, once I've sanded down the white areas between the sections to ensure everything is level, is there anything else I need to do to the walls before painting them? I'm assuming I'll need to use a primer/sealer/skim with plaster, but am a total beginner at this sort of thing so don't really have a clue!
Attachments
IMG_20211210_165006_resized_20220101_035436909.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Stripped some wallpaper but unsure what to do next with part plastered wall

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:15 am

Hi tomwilkinson84,
In your post you say top is plasterboard, bottom is plaster with cracks in both. It is unlikely that a plasterboard surface will crack so you may have a skim coat on this part. Rub down, fill, rub down, apply mist coat of emulsion and away you go.
Regards S

tomwilkinson84
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Stripped some wallpaper but unsure what to do next with part plastered wall

by tomwilkinson84 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:23 am

Excellent! Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a go

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:48 am