Damp in upstairs external wall bedroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
B-nightingale
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in upstairs external wall bedroom

by B-nightingale » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi everyone hoping for some help . We moved into our new home and soon noticed damp in one room particularly. I’m somewhat stumped about why this room is damp. The room is at the front of the house and is exposed to the elements however the adjoining room which it was once part of has no damp at all (white room in photo). On moving in decorating we noticed most of the externals walls had been lined with a thick thermal lining(very hard to peel off the wall and impossible to cut). This is the case for this room also. The internal walls without the lining have no damp at all. I don’t know whether to blame the lining ?? We recently stripped it from the bedroom and added a lime plaster to replace and haven’t had any issues. The room does feel warm , as you can see from the photos there is a large radiator. We don’t dry washing in there , we don’t sleep in there. The living room below has no damp at all and also has the thermal lining. Windows are fairly new , we don’t get much condensation in there.

I’m wanting to redecorate and I’m just so stumped on what’s best to do.

The mould is unlike that we had in the other bedroom we have decorated. It is very faint an cloud like - not in defined spots. I’m wondering if this is because it’s coming from under the thermal lining. I have attached a picture of that from the other room we removed it from.

Appreciate any advice.
Attachments
Thick lining paper
Thick lining paper
Damps appearance chalky wipes off with finger
Damps appearance chalky wipes off with finger
Damp room
Damp room
Adjoining room no damp
Adjoining room no damp

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp in upstairs external wall bedroom

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:49 pm

Hi b-nightingale,
Since the same front wall is damp in one room not the other and you have solid walls, have you looked at the gutters above the damp room to see if they are overflowing?
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:46 pm