Harling Being Destroyed by Water
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
louisxiv
Labourer
Labourer

Harling Being Destroyed by Water

by louisxiv » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:31 pm

Hi there. The attached pics show the damage that has been done by heavy rain to the steps in my garden. The whole render is looking pretty insecure and it's going to get worse. Can anyone advise what needs to be done and what materials I'd need?
I suspect the first layer of cement (or whatever it is that's been used to initially cover the breeze block) wasn't right before a top layer was applied.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks, M.
Attachments
IMG_0340.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Harling Being Destroyed by Water

by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 pm

Hi louisxiv,
You will never solve this problem. Rainwater landing on the steps will be sucked up by the breeze blocks and when it evaporates will blow off the render. Expect to find at least 0.5m of loose render above the steps.
Regular repair is the only solution.
Regards S

louisxiv
Labourer
Labourer

by louisxiv » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:20 am

Thanks Stoneyboy. I feared this might be the case and you're spot on with the 0.5m.

Is there an alternative? I mean something I can try as an alternative without having to get rid of the breeze blocks? Not sure if there are more modern materials available?

M

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi louisxiv,
You are in a no win situation, possibly the best solution is to make good the Harling matching the original formulation. Then seal the steps/wall junction with a band of silicone mastic - take this onto the steps and up the wall. This should reduce the chance of standing water being drawn into the wall.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:09 pm