How to drill into a bathroom tile?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
james00001
Labourer
Labourer

How to drill into a bathroom tile?

by james00001 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:20 pm

How to drill into bathroom wall tile properly?

8 x 6mm holes for wall fitting of small light shelves.

Unsure of tile type i think ceramic i dont think its porcelain. Not particularly thick.

I have successfully drilled 2 holes, taking me about 20mins per hole.
Using Bosch 2609255588 Tile Drill Bit Set

Next hole is slow, bit is basically dissolving, heating up, not making much progress.

Reading online says to go slow, no hammer, keep it cool etc. Im trying that.
I can get through the glaze easily, but after that its extremely slow progress.

Although... possible mistake was the first 2 holes drill speed was high, i may have destroyed the bit in doing that?

How to know the tile type?
Do i need a diamond bit?
Should the bit only to used to pilot the hole then use a carbide masonry bit after?

Anyone else know what to recommend?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to drill into a bathroom tile?

by stoneyboy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 pm

Hi james00001,
Some tiles are exceptionally hard and tungsten carbide tipped drills blunt very quickly. You could try regular sharpening but if this doesn't work I would recommend you try the diamond drill bit from Erauber - use a sprayer to keep it wet while drilling.
Regards S

james00001
Labourer
Labourer

by james00001 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:01 am

Guess I'll have to splash out on the diamond. Slow drilling with trying to keep it cool.
They are expensive.
I also read you only get 4/5 holes drilled with them. That's 5 quid a hole.

What do you mean by regular sharpening? Like manually sharpening the bit edges with a metal file?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:40 pm

Hi James00001,
I've used my diamond drill for at least 20 holes - always drill slowly, take the drill in and out and irrigate, a sprayer is ideal. You will need.a guide so cut a V in a piece of wood or ply to hold under the drill bit. Don't drill dry, in spite of their claims and only drill through the tile, swap to your tungsten tipped drill for the masonry below.
To sharpen a tungsten tipped drill bit you would need a grinder fitted with a green grinding wheel (specifically for use with tungsten).
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:52 am