Perished Rubber Window Gaskets
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tintin
Labourer
Labourer

Perished Rubber Window Gaskets

by Tintin » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:01 am

Hi All, I have wooden framed double glazing. The southern facing side has the lower rubbers perished, presumably due to weather and sunshine. To replace these would require "re-glazing", ie windows out, replace gaskets and back. This is impractical. I understand the fix is do remove perished rubber and fill with black silicon? Any thoughts? If this is the fix, any particular silicon? Anything to be careful of? Most grateful!
Attachments
IMG_0414.jpeg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Perished Rubber Window Gaskets

by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:04 pm

Hi tintin,
If you can trim the rubber seal so as to retain a slope away from the glass finishing level with the frame. Use an acetoxy silicone sealant to form a coat on the trimmed rubber.
You will need to mask both the timber and glass the difficulty will be finding a masking tape which will effectively seal the wood grain. Perhaps try a fresh coat of varnish/stain to give a smooth sealed surface before you start.
Regards S

Tintin
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Perished Rubber Window Gaskets

by Tintin » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:19 pm

Thank you S. I was looking at Everbuild 450 but the manufacturer said it wasn't suitable for that purpose. I suspect they are being overcautious just in case...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:33 pm