Cracking in brickwork after re-pointing done a couple of months back
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GJ2022
Labourer
Labourer

Cracking in brickwork after re-pointing done a couple of months back

by GJ2022 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Hi all

I had some re-pointing done a couple of months back and the person who done it said that he noticed some hairline cracking on the brickwork which may be early signs of brick tie failure.

I've not long had a structural engineer out and he said the walls look fine, they may just need some re-pointing but that is it. He say's that the person doing my re-pointing may have just been trying to get more money. However, this structural engineer did not fill me with confidence about anything with the house so not too sure whether to believe him.

The walls to me don't seem to be bulging or anything. It is just some slight cracking. I will attach a picture with this post. If someone can please let me know what I should be thinking as I am so confused.

Thank you.
Attachments
Most of the cracking is in the mortar but is also through some bricks.
Most of the cracking is in the mortar but is also through some bricks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cracking in brickwork after re-pointing done a couple of months back

by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:09 pm

Hi gl2022,
The hairline cracks may well be due to the dry weather we have been having drying out the subsoil under the foundations.
Monitor the cracks over the next few months and see if they get worse. Take photographs and mark the ends of the cracks.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:30 am