Roof tiles and pressure washing roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wolfreton
Labourer
Labourer

Roof tiles and pressure washing roof

by Wolfreton » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:42 pm

Hi there, I have roofers coming in November to rebed my valleys (2) and check my ridge tiles. My tiled roof is very dirty and mossy and I would like to have it pressure washed, but with is better to have done first

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Roof tiles and pressure washing roof

by stoneyboy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:43 pm

Hi wolfreton
Unless you are having issues with the valleys I suggest you leave well alone.
Personally I do not recommend pressure washing roofs, it can remove the finished tile surface making the tiles porous and susceptible to spalling. There is also the damage caused by roof access and removal of any mortar in joints.
Regards S

Wolfreton
Labourer
Labourer

by Wolfreton » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:10 pm

Thanks S, I had the valleys done a couple of years ago but a poor job, almost all the mortar is falling out, cracked and dislodged, I was hoping to have it done, and he done with it.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:58 pm

Hi wolfreton,
From your description I suspect the job carried out a couple of years ago was just a buttering up of the sides of the valley.
Unless the old mortar is cut back so a good thickness of fresh mortar can be applied you will be in the same situation 2/3 years down the line.
Regards S

Wolfreton
Labourer
Labourer

by Wolfreton » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:43 am

Yes, I believe the buttering up to be right, and yes, without the whole lot coming out and rebedded it will happen again.
My original question which you advised against, was the cleaning of the tiles, maybe not with a high pressure cleaner but a soft cleaner.
I would really like to fix this once and for all and get on to other stuff.
Thanks
Jim

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:34 pm