Fixing smells and heat coming from flat below
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
EwanAndrewS
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing smells and heat coming from flat below

by EwanAndrewS » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Hello, my first post here, so apologies if i use the wrong terminology.

I've got a problem that I think I can solve, however I want to run it by some people (I've spoken to my Dad already) and see what others think...

My problem (I'm sure this is common):

I live in a first floor (not ground floor) flat. It's in an old building that has been converted into flats (I own the flat). Since I've lived there, I've been dealing with consistent smells of grease, fish, garlic, bacon and incense sticks. Seriously, why would someone cook garlic at 5am????

I also hear most of what happens downstairs as well as get free heating (I'm happy to not have this). The flat downstairs has it's kitchen below me. My floor is floorboards with underlay and carpet on top.

I lost my patience the other day and took up the flooring in my cupboard to see what was causing the strong "aromas".

I discovered that between myself and the flat below there is a void / false ceiling (about 600mm inc the height between my floor and the original ceiling ). There are some pipes giving off heat. There seems to be a warm draught and the distinct smell of grease blow into my flat.

Some of the original ceiling is there in places. The height of each support is about 200mm high and the horizontal space between each support is about 250mm.

Their false ceiling seems to be chipboard / plywood attached to a network of support beans.

After speaking to my dad (he does a lot of DIY) he advised me to pack the space with insulation.

So I came up with the following plan:
- Fill the main void / space with glass wool insulation 2 layers of 200mm (will provide a bit of fire safety from their kitchen as extra bonus) laying it on their ceiling.
- Fill the space between the supports (between the original ceiling and my floorboards with aluminium coated foam insulation - easier to push through as rigid.
- Cover the floorboards with hardboard (will also even out my floors) and then relay the existing underlay and carpet on top.
- In areas where I can't use hardboard I'll use a rubber draught filler designed for between floorboards.

Are there any issues with this approach?

PS. I don't want to bring this up with the flat below as they are going through a very very tough time at the moment.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fixing smells and heat coming from flat below

by stoneyboy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:34 pm

Hi ewanandrews,
I'd suggest you use acoustic insulation batts between the joists and space blanket (with taped joints and edges sealed up the walls .
Regards s[quote="EwanAndrewS"]Hello, my first post here, so apologies if i use the wrong terminology.

I've got a problem that I think I can solve, however I want to run it by some people (I've spoken to my Dad already) and see what others think...

My problem (I'm sure this is common):

I live in a first floor (not ground floor) flat. It's in an old building that has been converted into flats (I own the flat). Since I've lived there, I've been dealing with consistent smells of grease, fish, garlic, bacon and incense sticks. Seriously, why would someone cook garlic at 5am????

I also hear most of what happens downstairs as well as get free heating (I'm happy to not have this). The flat downstairs has it's kitchen below me. My floor is floorboards with underlay and carpet on top.

I lost my patience the other day and took up the flooring in my cupboard to see what was causing the strong "aromas".

I discovered that between myself and the flat below there is a void / false ceiling (about 600mm inc the height between my floor and the original ceiling ). There are some pipes giving off heat. There seems to be a warm draught and the distinct smell of grease blow into my flat.

Some of the original ceiling is there in places. The height of each support is about 200mm high and the horizontal space between each support is about 250mm.

Their false ceiling seems to be chipboard / plywood attached to a network of support beans.

After speaking to my dad (he does a lot of DIY) he advised me to pack the space with insulation.

So I came up with the following plan:
- Fill the main void / space with glass wool insulation 2 layers of 200mm (will provide a bit of fire safety from their kitchen as extra bonus) laying it on their ceiling.
- Fill the space between the supports (between the original ceiling and my floorboards with aluminium coated foam insulation - easier to push through as rigid.
- Cover the floorboards with hardboard (will also even out my floors) and then relay the existing underlay and carpet on top.
- In areas where I can't use hardboard I'll use a rubber draught filler designed for between floorboards.

Are there any issues with this approach?

PS. I don't want to bring this up with the flat below as they are going through a very very tough time at the moment.[/quote]

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:34 am