Placing Bridge Packers in a Double Glazed Unit
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
timed1
Labourer
Labourer

Placing Bridge Packers in a Double Glazed Unit

by timed1 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:42 pm

Where should profile bridging packers be placed in a glazing unit ? 2 at the bottom and two at the top ? Or 2 at the bottom and two on the sides at the top of the unit ? This is for a french door install.

The bridge:
https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/glass- ... erest.html

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Placing Bridge Packers in a Double Glazed Unit

by stoneyboy » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:57 pm

Hi timed1,
The essential ones are two either side of the bottom hinge corner and one on the opposite side to the top hinge. You may have to add others to square up the window frame itself.
Regards S

timed1
Labourer
Labourer

by timed1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm

stoneyboy wrote:Hi timed1,
The essential ones are two either side of the bottom hinge corner and one on the opposite side to the top hinge. You may have to add others to square up the window frame itself.
Regards S

Hi Stoneboy,
If I use them, I cannot get the beads in because of the lip. Should I just stick to unlipped packers ?

timed1
Labourer
Labourer

by timed1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi stoneyboy,
It seems that the lipped bridge packers are not allowing me to hammer the beads in.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Hi timed1,
You may have to do some trimming so the flange on the glazing bars can locate in the frame rebate.
Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi timed1,
You may have to do some trimming of the packers so the flange on the glazing bars can locate in the frame rebate.
Regards S

timed1
Labourer
Labourer

by timed1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:40 pm

Thanks. Would that mean filing the protrusion of the bridge packer or just cutting it off ?
I've noticed that when I use those bridge packers, the gasket seals, but any slight twist in the way the panel sits in the rebate results in some air getting through.

I feel like just scraping the bridges altogether and using normal packers. Good move ?

Although I'm left wondering why the manufacturer even gave 8 of those bridge packers in the first place. Please note that the title is an error, and the panel is triple not double glazed.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi timed1,
Provided you use pacers that support the whole glazing unit you should be fine. You can always fix the vertical packers in place with silicone mastic between the frame and the packer so they do not move.
Regards S

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:21 am