Boiler keeps turning on even when timer is off
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
navnav
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler keeps turning on even when timer is off

Post by navnav » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:07 am

Can anyone advise what the problem is? Even when I had it on timer, the boiler would still turn on to heat the water for a couple of minutes and turn off again. Boiler cover prevous said no issue and dismissed it but it cannot be normal surely? thank you. Boiler is Ideal and water tank is Tribune range. Thank you

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Boiler keeps turning on even when timer is off

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi navnav,
If the boiler has done this from the start of your ownership then it may be a wiring issue.
If it's a new phenonimon then there may be a stuck motorised valve in the system. If you've checked this you will probably have to get a Gassafe person involved.
Regards S

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Boiler keeps turning on even when timer is off

Post by ericmark » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:13 pm

My boiler also did this, it seems the anti legionnaires software in the thermostat was turning the boiler on.

In a modern system we have many protection devices from pipes freezing to legionnaires that may turn the boiler on.

I went into Nest set up, and found I could turn the features off. I ended up turning most of the features off, just turned the geofencing back on, but you do not say what controller you have.

We have many ways to control central heating, the TRV or thermostatic radiator valve controls most systems, allowing one by simply swapping the mechanical head for a programmable electronic head I paid £15 each for my eQ-3 heads in 2019, to control each room independently.

The problem is the cheap system I have will not turn the boiler on, you can get linked TRV heads, but in real terms central heating uses near enough engineering. A balance between installation cost, and what it will do.

There are frost thermostats, which can be built into the boiler, or external which can turn the boiler on. In the main they are good, but you need to learn what your system does.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:34 am