Bathroom Light wiring advice for ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spark7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom Light wiring advice for ceiling rose

by Spark7 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:10 pm

Hello

Looking for help with a light. At the moment I have brown/blue earth going from the switch to the ceiling rose. If I connect the power to the rose, brown/blue/earth from a ceiling circuit, will the switch work or will the light just stay on permanently?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Light wiring advice for ceiling rose

by Mr White » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:08 pm

You have not said where you will actually connect the light. There are lots of diagrams showing how you should connect a ceiling rose if you search on google.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 pm

In the UK tradition is the ceiling rose acts as a junction box. But also the switch box can be used as a junction box instead, or even a dedicated lighting junction box can be used.

In lighting circuits often you find blue or black in line not neutral, yes should be over sleeved, but often they are not.

So you need to note how already connected or test.

Spark7
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spark7 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:35 pm

Mr White wrote:You have not said where you will actually connect the light. There are lots of diagrams showing how you should connect a ceiling rose if you search on google.

It's going in the bathroom. Light switch outside the door, through the wall and ceiling to the rose. Lighting circuit through the ceiling to the rose.

Spark7
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spark7 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:49 pm

ericmark wrote:In the UK tradition is the ceiling rose acts as a junction box. But also the switch box can be used as a junction box instead, or even a dedicated lighting junction box can be used.

In lighting circuits often you find blue or black in line not neutral, yes should be over sleeved, but often they are not.

So you need to note how already connected or test.

Thank you this is good to know. This is how it was originally but the light and fan came on together and I need them to be independent. I thought I could achieve this at the switch but also I can't so believe that the original set up, albeit with individual switches now may work????

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:06 pm

You can't have a pendant light in a bathroom.

You should have a ceiling mounted light, or down lights, either way there are lots of diagrams of how to connect it available if you search.

Spark7
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spark7 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:05 pm

Pendant light? I never said I was having a pendant light. I said I wanted the light to be independent from the extractor fan.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:59 am

Spark7 wrote:Pendant light? I never said I was having a pendant light.

But you did say
Spark7 wrote: ceiling rose
several times. A ceiling rose is what you connect a pendant light to. I can only reply to what you type, and since you need so much guidance I suggest you call someone in to do the job safely for you.

Spark7
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spark7 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:33 am

That's because a ceiling rose was already in situ.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:05 am